I Built A BETTER PUMPKIN PIE For Thanksgiving!

Along with my mom's "Famous Cornbread Dressing" I made for Thanksgiving, I also tried out a new pumpkin pie recipe I found prior to the holiday season:  A new version of PUMPKIN PIE!

The PUMPKIN PIE recipe came from the torn pages of a magazine I was reading.  Tucked onto the very last page, I scanned the ingredients and the immediately knew that I had to try this new version of an old recipe.

PUMPKIN PIE:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 crackers (I used 18)
3 Tbs. sugar (I used 6)
3 Tbs. vegetable oil (I used 6)
1 15-oz can pure pumpkin
3/4 cup well-stirred coconut milk
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (I couldn't find fresh so I just used my ground nutmeg)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Top with whipped cream (1 pint heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup sugar beat together in mixer)

FIRST, Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

         You need to get your crust ready for this pie first by crushing up the graham crackers.
After mixing the graham crackers, sugar and oil together, press them down with your fingers into a pie plate, place in the 350 degree oven and bake until golden brown; about 12-15 minutes.
When you take your crust out of the oven, place it on a rack to cool while you are preparing your other ingredients.  You want it to completely cool before adding the filling.
Next, prepare your fresh ginger for grating and mix it along with your pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, brown sugar, salt and other spices into a large bowl and whisk the mixture together.
Now, if your pie shell is completely cooled, pour your pumpkin mixture into it and place it in the oven for about 45-60 minutes (I like to check mine at 45 mins. and go from there.).  You should bake the pie until it is set, except in the center and crust is brown.
When you take the pie out of the oven, let it cool completely on a wire rack.  Then you can either cover it and put in the refrigerator over night or if you are serving it right away, mix up that whipped cream and spread over the top.

There was only one word for this pie...YUMMY!  The recipe said the things that made this pie great was the mixture of the canned pure pumpkin, fresh ginger, graham crackers, coconut milk and fresh nutmeg.  Those things are what actually drew me to this recipe.  When Hubby took a bite, I could tell by the look on his face that he LOVED it!  He said it was the closest thing to his childhood sitter's homemade gingerbread cookies he had ever tasted (and he has looked for THAT recipe for YEARS...).  I think it is the combination of those spices, combined with the coconut milk and graham crackers that just make the flavor POP!  This recipe is definitely a "Keeper" for years to come.  HEY!  It's not too late for you to try it too...Christmas Dinner is coming up!










No comments

AD

AD