Beware...I've Given Up Caffeine!

There's nothing more that I like in the mornings than to grab a hot cup of java.  Before anyone speaks to me.  Yea, I'm that person.  I'm that cliche; "Don't talk to me until I've had my coffee."  I LOVE MY COFFEE.  However, in the last few years I have noticed that the feeling is not reciprocated.  My coffee is not loving me back..

People have asked me why in the world I would decide to give up caffeine.  And to be honest, if it was not affecting my heart rate and making me jittery I would not be giving it up.  But, it does and I am.  And I decided to do it cold turkey!

One of my doctors suggested that I just wean myself off of it and my husband thought that was a pretty good idea too; probably because he lives with me.  But no...I decided to just cut the head of the snake off!

I bought decaffeinated coffee to prepare myself and yes, I know that it has trace amounts of caffeine in it.  But believe me, it's nothing compared to the real stuff.  Then Saturday I kept Parker Ann and Livie overnight and started my caffeine detox Sunday.  I got both girls up and dressed and to church.  That alone was an accomplishment since I was by myself over the weekend, but doing it with no caffeine was nothing less that miraculous.  After church I dropped each girl off at their respective  houses and then went home where I grabbed my pillow, got into my favorite chair and slept until 4 p.m.!  When I awoke, it was with a headache.  The withdrawals that my doctor had warned me about had set in (ugh...).  It was at this point that I knew it wasn't going to be easy telling my dearly beloved caffeine good-bye.

And so, I decided to share with y'all the stages of withdrawal from caffeine:

DAY 1:  I CAN'T KEEP MY EYES OPEN/OMG WHAT A HEADACHE!

DAY 2:  FALSE SENSE OF HOPE/I FEEL PRETTY GOOD

DAY 3:  I NEED A NAP SOOOO BAD/NOT ANOTHER HEADACHE (Ugh...)

DAY4:  I'M GROUCHY BUT HOPEFULLY OPTIMISTIC THAT I WILL SURVIVE

DAY5:  I ACTUALLY HAVE MORE ENERGY WITHOUT CAFFEINE THAN WITH IT

And just like that...I'm done with caffeine!  It's been pretty brutal but now that I've made it this far I will never go back.  Bye-Bye, Caffeine, I'm done with you!

No comments

AD

AD