National Dog Day: How Does Your Dog Make You Feel?

It's National Dog Day and we need to throw our little fur babies a BIG party for all they do to enhance our lives as humans.  And I decided to create this post to help celebrate this special day for so many dog owners and lovers out there.  I have had a dog in my life for almost the entirely of it.  They are wonderful companions but they also do so much more and that is what I would like to share with you today.

Did you know that dogs can do everything from improving your health,  in not only getting you out to exercise,  but also by lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol?  In addition to helping to keep your physical body working better, dogs are also great for people with emotional and mental issues.  Elderly nursing home patients' moods have been reported to improve by simply bringing a dog to them to pet.

As I said before, I have had a dog in my life for pretty much always!  When I was six years old my father passed away.  I was the only child at home and well, it was pretty somber around there.  I was lonely and  passed most of my time playing alone.  That is until one day a friend showed up at my house with a puppy!  I'm sure that I was more excited than my mother was at the time but I immediately took to this little chihuahua and promptly named the little fellow Irving (I know...how does a kids of six years old come up with a name like that?!).  Anyway, Irving and I became fast friends and continued to be so until he passed away at about twelve years of age.  He was a companion to me and another little being that I could attach emotions to.  Whenever I lost him, I truly grieved because he had been such an important part of my life and gotten me through such difficult years.

I found this 1970 snapshot of Irving and me in an old photo album and it immediately brought up such fond memories.

After I married and started a family of my own, of course, I longed for a dog.  And we have had many over the years.  I felt that there was so much that a dog could bring into the lives of my children.  They learned compassion and responsibility as they cared for them and allowed them to become a part of their daily lives.  I still have pups around here and am so happy that my grown children have decided to make them a part of their families as well.
 Meet Louie!  Louie is the newest member of my daughter's family.  He came into their lives just as they were moving from Cleveland to Louisiana.  And what a perfect idea to bring this precious addition into their family.  You see, moving can be a bit unsettling for children.  They need something familiar in their lives and Louie has been just that for my sweet little grandchildren.  He has brought light and laughter and made their transition here so much easier. (Photo Credit:  Caitlin Jarrell)
And that is why, for many years,  dogs have been called, "Man's Best Friend".  Hats Off to YOU, Doggies, for making our smiles a little brighter every day! (Photo Credit:  Caitlin Jarrell)



                       For more information on how dogs can improve your life, go to puppyspot !

3 comments

  1. Hi Barbara,

    I’m the Community Manager with Anagram Interactive, where we specialize in connecting established brands with prominent bloggers. We’re currently working with Paperless Post, a company that designs customizable online and printed stationery, to show that communication can be personal and well-designed regardless of the medium.

    Paperless Post has partnered with several world-famous designers and lifestyle brands, including kate spade new york, Oscar de la Renta, Jonathan Adler, and Rifle Paper Co., and has delivered over 85 million cards to date. Since you have such an engaging and beautifully-designed blog, we’d like to offer you 600 Paperless Post digital Coins (a $60 value) for free to try out our online service and write about your experience.

    We really think you’ll enjoy Paperless Post and can’t wait to hear what you think. Please let me know if this is something you’d be interested in and I’ll show you how to get started.
    Please write me at helen@anagraminteractive.com
    Best,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dry skin on dogs can be a serious skin condition that requires a diagnostic procedure to determine the exact causes of the problem. It’s a really frustrating thing both for the dogs and their owners as dry skin makes the dog feel uncomfortable and excessively itchy which worsens the situation even further.

    Click here to know more information Dry Skin on Dogs

    ReplyDelete

AD

AD