Last Summer Read: "Big Little Lies"

Now that I've found Liane Moriarty,  I intend on reading every single one of her books.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  ONE.  That's just how good they are.  There is not one thing I dislike about her writing style or storylines.  Last week I finished "Big Little Lies".  This book is soon to be turned into a television series, starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.

The book revolves around a group of mothers/couples in a small town.  Their lives and little secrets behind smiling faces.  In pops a new single mother,  with her one little boy and suddenly one can see the true-life nastiness that lies within people.

I live in a small town.  In small towns everybody knows everybody...or somebody that know everybody (Does that make sense?).  In a large city, people can get lost. No one knows their business and no one really cares.  But make a misstep in a small town and you've become the daily gossip and often times the outcast.

The new person on the scene typically either fits in immediately or not at all.  Or something happens (as in this book) that suddenly makes them a social outcast.  And that is exactly what happens in this book; the new single mother in town and her son become the outcasts.  And if you have any experience at all with small towns, it is not enough for the group to make you an outcast, they also want to make you suffer.  However, unbeknownst to everyone involved, there are LOTS of little hidden secrets floating around the seemingly perfect lives around town.

This book, as all of Moriarty's books, had me quickly turning the pages to see how everything was going to fit together.  And fit together it did!  At the very end once again.  I'm so glad that over the years I purchased a Kindle and gave up turning to the last few pages of the book to see the outcome before I was finished.  Because this outcome will really shock you.

I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of this book to read before the series comes out on television.  I'm anxious to watch this curiously dark comedy of sorts.  Already wondering how closely it will follow the original writing.  But I don't think it could be too bad with Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon as the two main stars.
                                                             HAPPY READING!

No comments

AD

AD