Eating Paleo?...Have a Sweet Tooth?...Not a Problem!

I haven't ever been a sugar addict but from time to time I do enjoy a little sweet treat.  And as I talk to people about the Paleo lifestyle (I don't like to refer to it as a "diet"), the one thing I like to emphasize is the fact that one never feels deprived eating Paleo.  And that includes having a sweet fix now and then!

I have become quite engrossed lately looking for all sorts of Paleo recipes, mainly on Pinterest.  And let me just tell you...there are LOTS out there!  All you have to do is put what you are looking for in the search engine and then begin a wonderful collection to try yourself.  The recipes I share with you are always "tried, tested and approved" before I put them on this site.  Most,  I am really impressed with and like enough to prepare more than once.  One of my other favorite places to find Paleo recipes is The Paleo Mom.  This link is to her Facebook Page where you can find many great recipes to try.  As a matter of fact, she is just coming out with a new cookbook that I predict I will be rushing out to order a copy of.

Now, on to the subject of satisfying those sweet cravings while eating Paleo.  It is my belief that if you want something sweet, go ahead and eat it but stay clean and eat in moderation.  Make your sweet treats ahead of time to keep from grabbing something not so good when that craving hits you.  I have included a couple of great sweet recipes that I have "tried, tested and approved" that I think might just hit the spot for you.

Both of these recipes were found on Pinterest (I told you this was a great resource for finding Paleo recipes).  The first one is a Brownie recipe that not only I tried but it also got the seal of approval from the Hubby, a son and a daughter-in-law.

ALMOND FLOUR BROWNIES:
Ingredients:
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil (*I used coconut oil*)
1 T. vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa (unsweetened)
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and mix ingredients together.  Bake for approximately 25 mins. OR until the middle does not giggle (ovens may vary).

                                                          ORIGINAL RECIPE LINK

 These brownies were delicious and the perfect snack for those days when I just had a craving for something sweet.  I must admit though that I still got that stab of guilt in my stomach that it was OK for me to grab something so good to eat.  I know, I know...old habits die hard.

The second recipe also came from Pinterest and I actually got Parker Ann to help me prepare it.  She had such fun rolling these Energy Bites in unsweetened coconut.  This snack was also "tried, tested and approved" not only by me but also the Hubby, my sister (who is a sweets expert) and my cousin.  I made a batch of these and one in the afternoons was the perfect sweet fix for me to enjoy for an entire week.

KEY LIME COCONUT ENERGY BITES
Ingredients:
1/2/ cup almonds
1/2/ cup cashews
1/2/ cup Medjool dates, pitted
Zest and juice from 3 key limes
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

I put the almonds and cashews into my Ninja and pulsed them until fine.  Then I added the dates and lime zest and juice.  I rolled them into balls and poured the unsweetened coconut out on the counter for Parker Ann to roll the balls in.  We then placed them in a dish and refrigerated them.
                                                             ORIGINAL RECIPE LINK

I predict that this recipe will be a favorite of mine for a very long time.  I made it originally on Parker Ann's birthday party day because I knew they would be serving birthday cake and I didn't want to be tempted to sneak a bite.  Like I said, I enjoyed one in the afternoon with a cup of coffee for the perfect healthy snack.

Now, one thing to remember about sweets and the Paleo lifestyle in general; moderation still applies.  Just because you are now eating in a healthier manner does not mean that you can eat the house down.  Just watch what you eat and how much you eat of it and before you know it, you will see your body changing in ways you never thought possible!
                                                
                                                           EAT GOOD FOOD!







No comments

AD

AD