Sunday Dessert!

Yesterday was Sunday and, of course, after church those who were in town came over for lunch; 10 this week!  Lunch was nothing impressive...hamburgers.  But you don't really have to impress these people, all they want is a free meal.  And although we only had hamburgers, I did make my "Sunday Dessert" because it was Sunday and everybody wants something a little sweet to eat after their meal.

This week's "Sunday Dessert" was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  I had never made one of these before but I made it this week for several reasons:
1.  I have always wanted to make one.
2.  I like pineapples.  A lot.
3.  Pineapples make me think of summer and our trips to Hawaii.  I want to go back.
4.  I'm told this was my father's favorite cake and my mother made it for him quite often.

Once I had decided which cake I would make this week, I turned straight to the Food Network to find a recipe that sounded good.  I found THIS recipe by Damaris Phillips, Season 9 winner of the Food Network Star.  I watch that show every year and just LOVED Damaris so I was definitely going to use her recipe.

The first thing you will need if you are going to try this recipe is a 10 inch black, cast iron skillet...
                                       Put 2 Tablespoons of butter in the skillet and melt it.
                                       Next, add 1/2 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar.
 
   Stir the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes on medium heat and then set the skillet aside.
              Place pineapple rings around the edge and in the center of your sugar mixture.
                                   Now, take crushed pineapple and fill all of those holes up.
               Mix dry ingredients in one bowl (Refer to RECIPE for ingredients and amounts).
                                               Mix your wet ingredients in another bowl.
             Then mix 1/2 cup coconut oil and 3/4 cup sugar together until soft and creamy.
Add your egg, followed by 1/2 of the dry ingredients, all of the wet ingredients and then the remainder of the dry ones.
   Pour this mixture over your pineapples in the skillet and place in a 350 degree preheated oven.

This cake bakes very quickly (approximately 35 minutes), so check it at 20 minutes to make sure it isn't getting too brown.  NOW...go lick the bowl and beaters.  I know it has a raw egg in it but if you didn't grow up licking the bowl and beaters then you don't know what you're missing!  Wash all those bowls you used, load the dishwasher and by then it will almost be time to check your cake!

                                    Take the cake out and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
                                                   Then flip that baby out onto a plate!

Was this cake well received by my bunch?  Ummm...let's just say I'm glad I got a pinch of it because when I turned around it was GONE!  It was SO SUPER MOIST and DELICIOUS.  I'm pretty sure when everybody is in I will have to make 2...or 3 of these!

Sunday lunch AND dessert was a success.  Now it is Monday morning and I've gotta get things going around here.  Did I mention we leave for our BIG, FAT FAMILY VACATION Friday?!  Oh...details on that later...

No comments

AD

AD