Christmas Decorations = Years of Memories...

It has only taken 3 days and I can say that I am FINALLY finished decorating my house for Christmas!  I LOVE Christmas and everybody know it and simply indulges me as I begin to drag all of my boxes out of the attic each year.  Traditionally erecting my tree on the day after Thanksgiving, this year, Robby suggested making the trek over to the nursery where we purchased our tree last year even the day before Thanksgiving to begin looking...for the "Perfect" tree once again.

Once our tree had been picked out and paid for, I knew it wouldn't be delivered until the next day, so I decided to start putting out various decorations.  And once this task has begun, it is difficult to stop!  But over the years I have learned to pace myself...thus, the taking of 3 days to complete the task of making my house look like Santa's Workshop!


My decorations have significance to me, as I'm sure most of yours do to you.  I can remember when and why I purchased them or in some cases, who gave them to me.  But my Christmas tree tells a story; a story of my life as a wife and mom and our family...





Each year this tree holds my children's "First Christmas" ornaments, ornaments they made in school, ones I purchased while vacationing each year, those given to me by students, LSU ones and many more.  Taking out my boxes of ornaments each year is like taking a trip down memory lane.

And then, of course, there is my nativity scene...

I only have this one nativity set and I LOVE it!  It always sits in the same spot each year and I enjoy looking at it daily throughout the Christmas season.  It gives me such peace and serves as a daily reminder of what this season is all about.  This year, I decided to buy another nativity set for Parker...and all future grandchildren to enjoy...

This Fisher Price Little People Nativity Set is perfect for the young child.  Made of plastic, it cannot be broken and they can play with it.  I set it out on a table where Parker can reach it.  What a wonderful way to introduce children to the Christ child and the story of the first Christmas.

And then there's all of our stockings that hang on my hall tree...

Whenever a new member is added to our family, they get a needlepoint, monogrammed Christmas stocking.  Allison is the newest member this year!  Oh yea...and my two little doxies also have stockings hanging here.

I splurged last year and bought this canvas to add to my Christmas decorations.  I bought a black Sharpie and wrote "The Rogenmoser Family" on the reindeer's reign and then put each couple's names on a jingle bell.  Then, I added Parker's name to a bell too; each additional grandchild's name will be added to a bell also.

And then there are my old favorites that I always put out.  I started collecting vintage elves a few years ago and I just love searching for new ones to add to that collection each Christmas. 

I have collected Snow Babies for years; someone usually gets me another one for Christmas.  They made me think of my kids when they were little and put a smile on my face!

And let's not forget Old Saint Nick...

This is the coolest Santa!  He was made by a nearby artist out of pine cones and an okra pod.

And let's not forget our LSU Tigers!  And if you look closely over to the right, you will see one of my very unusual vintage elves; he's purple and gold!

This Santa sits in his sleigh, where little doxies climb all over him...



What a joyous season this is.  It brings back many memories to me and by nature lends itself to making new ones each year as well.   From my family to yours, I would like to wish you all a very blessed season, filled with the joy that only the Christ child can bring.  Merry Christmas!












No comments

AD

AD