Books I Am Reading Or Have Read: "Sarah's Key"

As I flipped through the books I had downloaded on my Kindle, I noticed a book that had been on there a while and knew that something must have attracted me to it so decided to start reading it.  Once I started, it, "Sarah's Key" became one of those books that you just cannot put down.  You don't want to become drowsy in bed while reading, you carry it to the stove with you while you cook dinner, you read it while waiting for others to get ready to leave the house.  This book is one that I absolutely LOVED and hope that you will soon pick up to read as well.

"Sarah's Key" is set in France and goes back and forth between present day and the past during World War II, when the Nazis were taking Jewish families out of their homes and sending them to concentration camps.  The past and present are intertwined when a journalist is given an assignment that involves a commemoration service where the French acknowledge their part in the the Jewish round-up.  As this story unwinds, the reader is transported back in time to the horrors of those dark days when families were torn apart, most never to survive the concentration camps.

As I read this book, I was once again saddened at how one man and his hate for an entire race could so affect the world.  The innocence of the children who were taken out of their warm family homes, where they were safe and comfortable, enjoying simple things daily, such as hot meals and a cozy bed to sleep in.  And suddenly thrown into unconscionable conditions that even animals should not endure.  The Jewish people were subjected to cruelty that should have never been allowed to take place.  This book touched my heart in ways that no other has.  It takes one through the fear of the realization that things were not as one thought they were.  A child, attempting to protect a sibling by hiding him.  This story will tear at your heartstrings.  It is one that you will not soon forget, nor should you.  I urge you to pick this book up or download it to your reading device or remember it in any way you can to put on your reading list; it is well worth your time to read it!


                                                                             HAPPY READING!

1 comment

  1. Yes, I read that one a couple years ago. So great, they are supposed to be making a movie.

    ReplyDelete

AD

AD