From Chasing Frogs to Pink Casts

When I woke up yesterday you could say I was a Little Miss Cranky Pants.  That's what I call the Grands when they are out of sorts.  Because of the holiday on Monday, in order to get my three days at the gym in,  I had to go to an 8:30 a.m. workout and I'm just not an 8:30 workout girl; I prefer noon much more.  BUT...dedicated to this cause I drug myself to the gym...cranky or not.

After working out I received a message from Sarah asking if she could bring Parker Ann to swim.  I said, "Sure!"  She had been dying to get into the pool since WAY before the water was warm enough to swim and every time we tried to go for a swim lately the rain had stopped us.  FINALLY there was a break in the weather and school was out and it was SUMMER and WE WERE GOING TO SWIM!!!

By the afternoon I wasn't quite as cranky any more but I was still sorta tired from getting up at 6 a.m. but Parker and I hit the pool anyway.  OK...SHE hit the pool as I eased in because kids and adults body thermometers are not equal. I thought the water was still pretty cool and she kept saying, "Just get in and move around...it's not too cold, YaYa."  And so we pretended like we were mermaids.  She was the pink mermaid and I was the purple one.  And then she found the first frog!

I knew we would have LOTS of frogs this summer because I could hear a symphony of frogs each evening throughout the spring.  Each night I would mention to Hubby how loud they were and actually got to where I enjoyed listening to them as they were a comforting sound after a busy day.  Although I like to HEAR those frogs singing, I am not really that girl who likes to pick them up.  As a matter of fact I think the last frog I touched was the one I was required to dissect in my college biology class.  And I didn't touch that one because I wanted to, I touched it because no one else in my group wanted to and I needed that class to get my degree.  BUT...I digress.  Parker Ann caught the first frog and decided that she loved it so much that she was never going to let it go.  She swam around in the pool with it and eventually Sarah found a big bucket for her to put it in.  Before we knew it though, she had caught two more and also placed them in the bucket.  We were shocked that she would even touch a frog but it was so much fun watching her and she called herself a "Frog Catcher".

Soon, Poppi came through the back gate and Parker, excited to see him, asked if he would get into the pool and swim with her.  Of course he said YES!  As he was pulling his shirt off, Parker started to walk around the pool to the steps when she suddenly slipped in some water.  She didn't fall particularly hard but jumped up crying and holding her hand.  Since she didn't quit crying and because of my experience with my own kids and accidents we decided to take her to get an x-ray on it.

By the time we arrived at the doctor's office, both Parker Ann and Lila Kate were asleep.  We went inside and Parker was not even crying any more but she was still holding her arm in to her body.  Even if this little accident wasn't a break, I was glad we were having it checked.

Sarah took Parker to the back to have her x-ray and I stayed in the outside waiting room with Lila Kate.  In just a few minutes Sarah stuck her head out and said Parker wanted me to come to the interior waiting room with her.  By that time Justin had arrived and just in time for the doctor to call them back where I heard him say, "It's broken."

The next thing I heard was someone telling them to come to a back room.  Then I got a text from Sarah letting me know that Parker had broken one bone in her wrist and fractured the other one.  They were getting a cast.
                                                                  A PINK CAST!
After getting a sucker from the doctor's office, a peach slush on the way home, pizza for dinner and...
                 Baking chocolate chip cookies with Poppi, things were MUCH BETTER!
                                                 We all took turns signing that pink cast.
And Parker Ann let us know that breaking a wrist was no reason NOT to spend the night with Poppi and YaYa!

                                       Well...Welcome to SUMMER!  What a beginning.

No comments

AD

AD