30 Years Of Marriage...Oh, What A Ride!

Today my sweet hubby and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.  WOW!  30 YEARS?!  I have been married for way over half of my life.

I woke up this morning and thought it was 7 o'clock; it was only 5:58 (ugh...).  Robby was still snoozing and I decided to just go in the living room, turn on the the T.V. and sleep a little while longer, myself.  I wanted to be the first one to say, "Happy Anniversary!"  The next thing I knew, Robby had already gotten his shower and was sitting down in his recliner eating a bowl of cereal.  In my still sleepy state, I was just beginning to sit up when he said, "Happy Anniversary".  My eyes popped open and I said, "Ugh!!!  You beat me to it; I wanted to say it first!"

30 years...By ANY standards, that is a LONG time.  But, HEY!  Am I really that old?!  Heck no!  I was just a "child bride"...That's my story and I'm sticking to it!.  Recently, Robby cleaned out our storage building and found our wedding album.  I thought it was lost forever, so when he brought it home, I was SO excited!  Looking through that album, I realized something...We were just kids 30 years ago.  I'm quite sure I would NEVER agree to let any of my own kids get married that young.  But, "When it's right, it's right". 

Robby and I met while still in high school and married shortly there after.  We had absolutely nothing, except the used furniture our family had scraped together for us and LOVE.  Our first home was a little low income apartment and neither of us had jobs that made much money.  However, we were happy...and content.  Imagine that, huh?

After about a year, we moved up in the world...to a trailer that we put on a piece of property that my family owned.  From there we built several houses over the years, as our little family grew from two to six quite quickly.  No matter what we did, Robby and I have always found time for each other.  We tried to sneak off by ourselves on little trips as often as we could afford and time would allow; we kept in mind that our relationship was important.  So many people we knew, never took time for themselves after starting a family; becoming so immersed with children and activities, they forgot about each other.  I am glad that we did take time for our own relationship because, at the end of the day, the kids move on.  They graduate high school and move on to college and eventually start their own lives with someone special.  Had we not taken time to nurture our own relationship, we might have woken up as strangers one day when left alone again.

Not many people can say that they married their "soul mate" and to some that may sound corny at the least and impossible at the most.  However, when you find that person who completes you...you know it.  Like I said, "When it's right, it's right".  Things come and go and become less important with time.  The one you have chosen to spend your life with is what is important in the end.  The ride that I have been on for the past 30 years has been an exciting one and I wouldn't change a thing.  I can't wait to see what the next 30 years have in store for us!

1 comment

AD

AD