Blueberries, Butter and Lickin' the Bowl

Whenever I got married and moved away from home, it wasn't long before I was right back next door to my mother...for about 13 years.  You see, we didn't have a lot of money and had a baby on the way.  We wanted to move out of our apartment so we purchased a mobile home and plopped it down on portion of the land my mother owned.

Living next door to my mother had it's advantages for sure.  She and my step-father grew several huge gardens every year.  There were always fresh vegetables to be had and a hot pone of cornbread on the stove.  My kids grew up eating out of those gardens so they ate pretty healthy for the most part.  Along with the gardens, my mother had a fruit orchard.  There were all sorts of fruits to be found growing out there but one of my favorites were the blueberries.  

There were always a lot of blueberries each year, so many that my mother gave me her homemade muffin recipe and we would fold those fresh blueberries into the mixture to make the most delicious blueberry muffins you have ever tasted.  Last week as I was looking through my cookbook, I came upon that recipe and was so excited because you see, it had been years since I made those muffins.  I'm pretty sure all of the kids were still at home and that was back when I wasn't so worried about consuming carbs or my weight in general.  But whenever I found that recipe...nothing else mattered except making a batch of them.

Now, the blueberries weren't blooming yet so I went to the grocery store and bought some.  I waited until Sunday afternoon when everything was slow and lazy and I began to take all of the ingredients out.  Hubby, who was watching The Masters, kept looking over toward the kitchen and finally asked, "What are you making?"  I asked him if he remembered those homemade blueberry muffins I used to make and he nodded.  "That's what I'm making", I said.

I thought perhaps I should share the recipe with y'all but first there are a couple of things you must do if you decided to make these muffins:
     .You must use fresh blueberries.
     .You must lick the beaters and bowl after you pop them in the oven.
     .You definitely must eat them hot, right out of the oven with a big ole pat of butter on them.
Now, if you think you can abide by all of those musts, then let's get to it and make some of the yummiest blueberry muffins you will ever put in your mouth!

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cup self-rising flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter (5 1/3 T.)
1/2 cu milk
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries

 Rinse the blueberries and leave to drain while  pre-heating the oven to 375 degrees and mixing the    
 other ingredients.

Beat the butter and sugar together.

Add vanilla and egg.  Beat well.  Then begin to add flour and milk alternately a little at a time.

Before folding blueberries in gently with a spoon, toss them in sugar.

 Spray the muffin pans and bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven until golden brown.

Pop them out on a plate while still hot.

Slice them open and put butter on them.
YUM!








No comments

AD

AD