Continuing To Prepare For Isaac...

I stayed glued to The Weather Channel Monday morning until the LSU medical community in New Orleans made a decision on allowing their dental students and residents to leave the area for a couple of days because of the impending hurricane.  Relieved, I then waited for them to make it back to Alexandria, which is generally a three hour drive.  David and Ryan left at 1:20 and arrived here at 7:00.  The traffic was backed up so far that they decided to take another route that was also clogged with traffic.  That was part of my concern with them leaving the city so late.  During Katrina people were on the road for so long that they were running out of gas. 

I had continued my own preparations throughout the day; washing clothes and dishes and my husband checking the generator to make sure it would be ready to turn on in case we lost electricity.  In the midst of these preparation, I decided to brave the craziness of the shoppers out in town, also making their preparations, to get a few more supplies I needed.  I live on the outskirts of my town so I definitely didn't want to have to go all the way in and hoped that a small local gas station had what I needed.  Naturally, it didn't (sigh...), however, while I was there, I did fill my vehicle up with gas (which had already risen in price over night...).  Girding my loin, I headed toward the Dollar Store...Surely they would have everything I needed and I wouldn't have to make a dreaded trip to Wal- Mart.  When I pulled up, I was pleasantly surprised; had no one thought of this little jewel out here?  I leisurely shopped for what I needed and even got a few extra items...






By the time I headed to the check out counter, I noticed that quite a lot of people had also thought of the Dollar Store...



And the lines were beginning to form at the neighboring gas station too...


It was time for me to get back to my house.  As I traveled home, I noticed that the farmers had frantically begun to harvest their cotton.  I love to see those cotton fields in full bloom and have watched those poor farmers scramble to save their cotton crops under the threat of the pouring rain of a hurricane.  This day, those preparations had begun....








The skies were still blue and clear and it would be so difficult for anyone who had not been through a hurricane before to believe that bad weather was on the way.  And as much as I wanted to believe that, I knew it was not the case, I knew from experience that this was merely the calm before the storm.

And Tuesday proved that to be true.  The skies were still blue but clouds were quickly moving in and the wind had begun to blow with gusts that had me steadying myself against them.  The farmers were still working on getting that cotton in and I feared that they would never get it all in before the rain set in. I went into work for a little while and then ran my errands; there were not many people out and about today.  I suppose most had gotten their supplies the day before.  Grabbing just one more flat of water, I headed home to start dinner.  Friends and neighbors were making gumbos and I was planning on making chicken and spaghetti with a hot loaf of French bread; we go for that comfort food of chicken here in the south.  And so, we get ready to hunker down and ride out whatever it is Isaac has to throw at us...

***Isaac has now been upgraded to a category 1 hurricane and the rain is predicted to set in here in Central Louisiana this evening and continue until Friday.  I will hopefully be able to post more tomorrow if we are fortunate enough to not lose our electricity.***








No comments

AD

AD