What To Do With All Of These Tomatoes?! (Rustic Tomato Tart Recipe)

Our garden has been producing well and as a first time gardener I can say that I am pleased!  Pleased enough to be already planning what I will plant in a fall garden.  But first, I have to think of what I can do with all of these tomatoes!  We have tomatoes running our of ears and believe me, I'm not complaining; this is a good problem.  I love tomatoes and have some long term plans for most of them,  but in the meantime, in addition to just salting them down and eating them, I have searched for some different recipes to use these tomatoes in.  The other day I came across a Rustic Tomato Tart Recipe that I immediately decided I MUST try.

I had plenty of the main ingredient coming in daily from our garden...Tomatoes!
                  The first thing I had to do though was make a crust for this Tomato Tart.
                                   I put 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2/ teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
                                Then cut 4 Tablespoons of cold butter, cubed into the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl, I lightly beat 1 egg with 2 T. water and then made a well in the center of the flour mixture and poured it in there.  I then began to mix it together with my hands to form a ball.
I moved the ball of dough over to some parchment paper and got my rolling pin out to begin forming the crust.
                                                     I rolled it to the size of my pie pan...
                            And then rolled it up on the rolling pin so I could place it in the pan.
Once the pie crust was in the pie pan, I spread some Dijon mustard on it.  The recipe called for 3 T. but I didn't use quite that much.  As you can see, I left some room around the edges.  That is because later I would be folding those edges up.
           Now it was time to get out some of those fresh, tasty tomatoes and slice them up!
 
I placed the sliced tomatoes on top of the mustard and then scattered 2 cloves of minced garlic on top of them and then drizzled 2 T. olive oil on top of that.
Next, I sprinkled some Kosher salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a mixture of dried basil, parsley and oregano on top.
The fresh mozzarella cheese was sliced and layered on.  On top of the cheese went a little bit more salt and a few more red pepper flakes and basil.
I pulled the edges up around the entire pie and then placed it in a 425 degrees preheated oven and baked for 30 minutes; until golden brown and the cheese was melted and bubbly.
          I set the tart out on a rack to cool for about 10 minutes and then cut and ENJOYED it!

OH, YUM!  This Rustic Tomato Tart was absolutely DELICIOUS.  Proof of that?  There was none left in the pan when dinner was over that night.

This was only one of the great tomato recipes I have enjoyed making with all of these fresh tomatoes from my garden.  If you didn't get my Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe, check it out.  And coming next...Canning some REALLY yummy tomato recipes that my family will be able to enjoy throughout the rest of the year!






No comments

AD

AD