Athlete or Work-Out Junkie...Which Are You?

Athlete or Work-Out Junkie?  I know that is a weird question to be posing, however, this discussion has been ongoing at my house for the past couple of weeks.  Hubby (who was involved in organized sports for the entirety of his life) told me that I was a Work-Out Junkie (aka:  Work-Out Geek/Nerd).  WELL...I sure didn't like being "labeled" as any such thing!  He went on to point out further that I was definitely a "Nerd" since instead of sports, I was into music and books.  Hmph!!  I explained that I actually had no opportunity to be involved with sports being raised by a single mother, who to this day has never learned how to ride a bike or swim.  With puffed up chest I said, "At least I know how to do THOSE things."  It didn't matter...I was destined to be labeled a nerd from here on out (sigh...).  It bothered me for a bit, even though he told me, "But you're my nerd and I love you."  I was still bothered by the label...That is until this Work-Out Junkie/Nerd went on a shopping trip to try on clothes this past weekend (Insert HUGE smile here!)

As you know, I have been faithfully following the Paleo diet AND working out at Genesis.  I have finally gotten past the "I'm So Sore I Cannot MOVE Phase" and actually feeling pretty good after working out.  I haven't weighed in over two months and I never wrote down my measurements when Karol took them.  I just kept eating right and showing up for exercise classes.  So, you can imagine my surprise when I decided to try on some clothes Sunday and my sizes had gone DOWN!

I started out with the sizes I thought  would fit (the sizes I have been in for a long time) and, although Hubby thought those were going to be too big, I insisted they would fit.  And then I put them on and to my surprise...I needed SMALLER sizes! (Insert jumping up and down and doing the "Happy Dance").  Well, I thought perhaps it was just a fluke and kept on trying on more clothes and I was genuinely fitting into smaller sizes.  I snapped a couple of photos of myself and sent a text message to Karol that said, "You  have a client for LIFE!"
                                           The skirt is a small.  Top is xs/s.  Dress is xs!
   (Seriously...I haven't seen these sizes on my body since giving birth to Baby #3 over 27 year ago!)


And so, here are the things I have noticed so far going into my third month of Paleo eating and working out at Genesis:
1.  Still no hot flashes (Yippee, Yahoo!!!)
2.  Uninterrupted sleep at night
3.  Blood Pressure taken at Dr. office was "perfect" (Their words, not mine)
4.  TSH came down from 4.8 to 2.7 ( I was put on a little higher dosage of Synthroid but am anxious
     to see if it stabilizes or comes down lower in the next 6 weeks.)
5.  Cardio is much better
6.  Muscles (now that I found I have some) are getting stronger
7.  Smaller clothes size (YAY!)

AND in celebration of all these milestones I have made I want to share a couple of my Favorite Paleo Chicken Recipes:

SKILLET CHICKEN:
I use chicken thighs.  Lightly salt and pepper them.  Preheat your oven on 350 degrees.  Put your skillet (I like using a black, cast iron one) on the stove and turn the burner on high.  When you see smoke coming up from the skillet, you know it is hot enough to place the chicken in it (skin side down).  Just the chicken, no added oil; the skin on the chicken will brown and crisp up.  Using tongs, turn the chicken over whenever the skin in brown and crispy.  Let it brown on the other side for a few minutes, then take the skillet off the burner and place it in the oven for about 30 minutes.  Check the temperature with a meat thermometer before taking out.

CHICKEN STIR FRY:
I use boneless, skinless chicken strips.  Pour a little olive oil into a skillet, salt and pepper the chicken, heat the skillet and place the chicken in the skillet to cook.  Place the cooked chicken strips aside on a paper towel.  Next make the stir fry vegetables.  I put fresh ingredients in my stir fry; broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, black olives.  Sautee' these veggies in some olive oil.  Next, cut the chicken up and add it to the vegetable mixture and "Voila"!  You have a great meal.

I hope by sharing my success and some of the recipes I have tried that it will inspire you to also try this Paleo lifestyle of "Eating Good Food" and starting a good exercise program.  There is no time like the present to get into shape.  And ya know what?  I don't mind being a "Work-Out Junkie/Geek/Nerd" if it means feeling this good!

                                                                  EAT GOOD FOOD!!!


No comments

AD

AD