Eat GOOD Food: Eat MORE, Not Less

"Eat MORE, Not Less".  Whenever Karol said those words to me I must admit it made me a little shaky and weak-kneed and downright scared!  Growing up in the era that I did, the philosophy had always been "If you want to weigh less then you have to eat less."  Oh, I had heard all of the sayings about "If you don't put fuel in a car it won't run" but surely that didn't apply to me.

Well, here is what I have learned:  If you are eating GOOD food and working out, then you might need to eat a little more to get your metabolism revved up.  This also scared me a bit because suffering from hypothyroidism is no joke; it is a real metabolism killer if you don't get it under control.  It seems that we have to do more to get the same results as others.  But, hey...I was willing to give it a try if the experts thought it would work.

Like I said, I had been eating "good food" for quite some time but I was limiting my intake while attempting to work out daily.  Karol explained that this simply would not work.  She asked what I ate after a workout.  Hmmm...I thought the idea of working out was to burn calories; why would I want to just turn around and put them back into my body?  I answered, "Maybe a piece of fruit occasionally."  She shook her head and said, "Protein Before Fruit" and eat that protein within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.  OK, so what kind of protein could I grab right after a workout?  She said, "A boiled egg."  That was easy enough.  So I tweaked that in my daily routine.

Other things I tweaked in my daily routine included to stop eating peanut butter with my apple slices and instead eat almond butter.  I found a really good one I like that is all natural....


Another thing I did was to look at the label on my Mio Liquid Water Enhancer.  When Karol saw that I was using this, she asked me if it had sugar in it.  "Of course not", I said.  She told me to go home and look at the ingredients on the bottle because "Sometimes the label will say '0 grams' but you'll see sugar in the ingredient list.  They're allowed to round down on labels.  Well, she was right, the Mio had to go!  Check out THIS LINK to see all of the different terms for sugar.

The other thing I did on my own before starting to work with Karol at Genesis Experience Alexandria
included purchasing a good Paleo cookbook (which I will discuss more in detail later in the week).  The one I chose was, The Paleo Kitchen.  This book has some pretty awesome recipes and while you might still be in the "thinking" stage of trying this program, I will give you one to try so you can see how delicious and easy the recipes are to prepare.

 BACON PECAN CABBAGE

Saute' 6  slices of diced bacon over medium heat.
Take the bacon out and add 2 cloves of minced garlic.
Thinly slice 1/2 head of green cabbage and 1/2 head of purple cabbage.
Add the cabbage to the bacon grease and garlic and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and pepper.
Stir and allow to reduce down.
While the cabbage mixture is simmering, take 1/2 cup of pecan halves and toast them in a skillet.
When the cabbage mixture is done, add your bacon and pecans in.
This is a wonderful, savory side dish that goes well with chicken or pork dishes.


S0,  here's what's on the schedule for today:
Take a Hot Yoga Class
Work out at Genesis Experience with Karol...and
                                                         EAT MORE GOOD FOOD!!!
 

No comments

AD

AD