Another Great Summer Read: "The Husband's Secret"

If I have found a new favorite author this summer, it is Liane Moriarty.  She is an Australian author who has made the jump into the American market with great success.  I not only love the way her novels flow and the development of her characters,  but also the way that they have a little twist in them that, in my opinion, makes a great story.  "The Husband's Secret" is the second book of hers that I have read this summer and as with "What Alice Forgot", I was enthralled by it.

"The Husband's Secret" is not unlike "What Alice Forgot" in the fact that there are several different story lines going on simultaneously that will intersect at some point.  In this novel, there is not merely one secret but many secrets throughout, which made me think of that familiar quote by Walter Scott:    "O, what a tangled web we weave when once we practice to deceive".

Set in Melbourne and Sidney and laced with little phrases that allow the reader know that these characters are Australian, one is quickly drawn into this story.  It does not start with a bang as "What Alice Forgot" but it soon becomes a page turner because of the manner in which it moves back and forth between families with each chapter.  This novel allows the reader to constantly think:  "What if..."  It's that moment that everybody comes to at some point in their lives.  "What if I hadn't gone there..."  "What if I hadn't dated that person..."  "What if I hadn't opened that letter..."  Secrets one wish they never knew.

I would definitely suggest you put Liane Moriarty on your reading list and join me as I continue to read the six (soon to be seven) novels that she has written.  I am now reading a third novel by her as we head to the beach this week for vacation.  "Big Little Lies"  is a #1 New York Times Best Seller and soon to be HBO series starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.  I cannot wait to get deeply immersed in this book while listening to the waves hit the shore this week.

Join me in reading these books and leave a comment to let me know what you think!

                                                                 HAPPY READING!!!

No comments

AD

AD