The Baking Project...(Pound Cake)

The last post I made in "The Baking Project" was a bit foiled by Robby making that "Easy Skillet Apple Pie".  This week, I was determined that I was going to do the baking...It was MY project, after all!

I stopped in at The Kitchen Warehouse to grab a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.  They had just moved and opened at their new location.  While waiting for my sandwich, I decided to look around for a bit (THAT can be dangerous...).  I began grabbing a few items that I just couldn't live without, when I saw it; one of those decorative loaf pans!  Now, I must tell you that I am TOTALLY ADDICTED to any and everything to do with fall.  I don't know why I love it so much.  Perhaps it is due to the temperatures turning cooler or maybe all of the fall colors of oranges, yellows and reds.  Even the scents of fall make me excited for this new season!  So, back to the decorative loaf pan...it had leaves and fall stuff and such; I was sucked in...I bought it.
Don't you just LOVE this pan?  It's PERFECT for the fall!


When I bought the pan, I knew exactly what I would be baking in it.  A while back, Southern Living did a piece on "Pound Cakes".  The "original" pound cake recipe was given and then several variations  were included, also.  I decided that I would just make the "Original Pound Cake" with a lemon glaze (just like my mama used to make!).  A Pound Cake isn't that difficult to make.  The name, in and of itself, sort of gives one a hint concerning the ingredients:  a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour...oh, and 9 eggs!  As I laid my ingredients out and waited for the eggs and butter to reach room temperature, I saw Robby nosing around in the kitchen.  "GET AWAY from my stuff!", I said.  I KNEW he couldn't stand not being in charge of the baking, but I ushered him out of there quickly.




When those eggs and that butter were ready, I began to cream to the sugar and butter together in the mixer; it said to do this for 8 minutes.  My phone rang and I began talking...however, I was still watching the clock; I AM capable of "multi-tasking", ya know!  Robby took this opportunity to sneak back around behind me and when I looked up, he was scraping down the sides of the bowl!  "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE YOU DOING?!", I asked.  He told me I was using the wrong utensil to scrape the bowl down with (Ugh!!!).  Couldn't he just let ME do the baking by MYSELF this time?  I ran him out of the kitchen yet AGAIN!

After all of the ingredients were properly combined, the recipe said to divide the batter evenly between 2 loaf pans.  I had another plain pan in the cabinet and grabbed the Pam to ready those pans for baking.  As I got ready to spray them, guess who was standing over my shoulder staring at me?!  You've got it...He was BACK!  I stopped and looked at Robby and asked what was wrong NOW.  He said, "You know that you need to shake that up REAL GOOD to mix the flour up in it."  Well, THAT was it!  "I may not be a professional cook, but I AM almost 50 years old...I believe I KNOW how to shake up a can of Pam!"  He left the kitchen on his own this time.


It took 65 minutes to bake those Pound Cakes...But OH was it ever worth it!  The smell alone that permeated the house was wonderful.  And by the way...I finally allowed Robby to come back in the kitchen and do something for me.  I let HIM make the lemon glaze that was drizzled over the top of the hot cakes!  I MUST say, it was DELICIOUS!

***If you would like the recipe for this pound cake, please feel free to e-mail me and I will  be happy to send it your way!***

No comments

AD

AD